Stacks Image 3229


East Main Street


Start at the Clinton Historical Society Headquarters (Old Brick) pictured below, built by Capt. Elisha White in 1750, the oldest brick house between New Haven and New London.

As you leave the entrance of the Historical Society go left along East Main (The Post Road) to the nearby Historic District that includes a portion of the original Liberty Green along with several 18th Century houses. A cannon from the war of 1812 and a statue commemorating the Civil War are visible on the Green, which was a muster field during the American Revolution.


Liberty Street


Cross the Green and go north on Liberty Street to view the fourteen historic houses built between 1725 and 1850. The two oldest are #3 the John Rossetter House (1734) and #5 the Elderkin Homestead (1725).

The remaining historic Liberty Street homes include: #6 - 1840, #7 - 1800, #11 - 1750, #17 - 1750, #18 - 1750,
#19 - 1740, #22 - 1750, #23 - 1750, #24 - 1800, #25 - 1750, # 37 - 1800.



From Liberty Street, turn left and continue east on East Main to #153 , the Corn Crib (1800), then turn back towards the Historical Society.


Stacks Image 3223
Stacks Image 3232
#3 Liberty

#5 Liberty

#15 Liberty


On the way back, you will pass several 18th and 19th Century houses on both sides of East Main. On the north side are #153 the old Corn Crib (1800), #149 (1800), #137 (1840), #129 (1790), #127 (1840), #125 (1787), #109 (1850), and then the Old Brick itself at #103.0n the south side are #138 (1800), #130 the Ben Merrill House (1735) and across the street from Old Brick, #110 Captain Williams home (1710).

#153 East Main Street

#130 East Main Street

#63 East Main Street

#61 East Main Street

#62 East Main Street

# 55 Church Road Congregational Church

#100 Main Street

#96 Main Street

#95 East Main Street

#92 Main Street

#90 Main Street

#68 Main Street